Acupuncture and Pregnancy
Pregnancy is such a beautiful and amazing event in a woman’s life. It is a time for many changes both physically and emotionally that sometimes lead to a variety of discomforts and challenges.
Acupuncture is safe and one of the most effective modalities to support and relieve discomforts of the body throughout every stage of pregnancy. Regular acupuncture visits can also support the development of the growing bundle of joy.
Dr. Katie has advanced training in the area of prenatal care and has worked closely with one of the largest teams of midwives in Alberta, The Briar Hill Midwives. Known for her work in this field, Dr. Katie also accepts clients from the maternity clinics in Calgary and from the other midwifery teams in Alberta. With compassion and understanding of the many common complaints of pregnancy, Dr. Katie looks forward to offering assistance, support and encouragement through your journey from conception to delivery.
Common Complaints During Pregnancy
For many women, the excitement of learning you have become pregnant soon diminishes when the first signs of morning sickness arise. This is one of many common complaints seen in clinic and can be effectively treated and managed using acupuncture. However, there are many other complaints and discomforts that can be addressed including:
- Low energy and fatigue
- Digestive issues including low appetite, indigestion and constipation
- Insomnia or poor sleep
- Low back pain and sciatic
- Tension in neck, shoulders, and hips
- Depression and anxiety
- Edema and water retention
Other Pregnancy-Related Conditions:
There are many other conditions that can be successfully treated using acupuncture and are often seen in the clinic setting, these include but are not limited to:
- Breech presentation: The use of acupuncture and moxa have been highly successful in encouraging the baby to turn to correct position
- Hypertension: Regular acupuncture visits aid to stabilize the blood pressure
- Induction: A very popular alternative to encouraging the onset of labour, Dr. Katie has assisted many women in promoting labour for post dates and other urgent concerns that require induction. Acupuncture can also be used to increase frequency and intensity of contractions for slow or stalled labour.